Thursday, July 22, 2010

Peas(Beef) Curry

When I was newly married, I was a total stranger to the kitchen. Was never interested in cooking(Even now,I believe in Cooking for Survival).The only thing I knew was moru curry and coffee.
Many an ISD calls been made to both my mom and MIL to check how to make sambar,chicken curry,fish fry.Questions to amma included how much mustard do you need for moru curry,is there any other trick to revert the burnt onion etc.etc.Both my sisters,being very good cooks,'celebrated' my doubts.
One fine day,hubby casually mentioned that one of his childhood favorite was Peas curry.I made a mental note.As soon as he left for office phone at my home rang...
"Hello"
"enna undu vishesham ?"(How are you)
"amme...peas curry enagneya vekkunne?"(Mom..How do you make peas curry?)
"kelkkan vayya...bhayankara mazhaya ivide..."(Cant hear you..Its raining heavily here)
"amme peas curry enagneya vekkunne?"(Mom..How do you make peas curry?)
"ohh..atho...athu bhayankara easya...aadyam uppum mulakum kurachu manjalum thirumi vevikkanam..adhikam vellam ozhikkanda.nalla pole vekanam"(Oh...thats so easy...First,marinate it with some chilly powder and turmeric.Dont pour so much water.It should be cooked thoroughly)
"ok"
"athu kazhinju kurachu ulliyum veluthulliyum icnchiyum nalla pole vazhatti kurachu manjalum mulakum malliyum garam masalayum ittittu ,athu nalla pole vazhannu kazhiyumbo vevichu vecha pieces eduthu nalla pole ulathi edukaknam.last,add some pepper"(after that,stir fry some onion,ginger and garlic,add chilli powder,turmeric,coriander powder,garam masala.When it is well done,add the cooked pieces and dont forget pepper)
"vokei.."(ok..)
By the time,hubby reached home...Peas curry was ready.The curry was dry,that was an Ok dish. We both enjoyed it.Hubby said it was good.May be he dint want to make me sad.He,being a better cook with some sense and sensibility,suggested that I can make it gravy for chappathy.Ignorant as I am..I ran to the laptop.After some search ,(Thank you Google gods) I boiled some coconut milk and water(canned coconut milk is very thick) and mixed it to the gravy.It definitely tasted better.It was good.

Some days later,the phone rang again.This time,hubby was also present.
"Hello..how was ur curry?"
"It was good.The dry one was just ok.But,we both liked the peas curry."
"Peas curry?what peas curry.Am asking about the beef curry?"
"Beef curry???????Remember,that day I asked you the recipe for peas curry.."
"Hmm..It was raining here.I heard beef curry...I gave you the recipe for beef curry"
Silence.
Result :That day,I understood one thing.In order to make most Indian curries,splutter some mustard seeds in oil,add onions,ginger-garlic,chilli powder,coriander and turmeric powder and add the cooked 'pieces'.Dont forget the salt.

2 comments:

  1. haha.....good one da!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the story! now i'll have to try n make peas that way :D

    ReplyDelete